A list of engaged subscribers is one of the most effective and reliable marketing resources you can own. A good list so valuable that it can’t be bought. Why? Because when subscribers sign up for your list, they’re signing up to hear from you and your company. Email subscribers have to be earned. What are the best ways to build a list? I’ve collected the top 13 to share with you today.
The permission model allows you to fill your audience with people who are genuinely interested in your brand and what you have to say.
With information collected during sign-up (or later), you can precisely segment your email list and design your email communication to suit your reader’s preferences.
As you attract qualified leads, you’ll be able to guide them through the decision-making process by aligning content to specific buying cycle stages.
Take a look at the 13 tips I’ve collected to help you build your email marketing list:
- Offer quality content. Nobody gives up their email address for free. If you want to build a valuable relationship and engage your audience, you need to provide content that is worthwhile and interesting.
- Put sign-up forms on every web page. Your sign-up form should be everywhere your potential subscribers are. Make sure it’s visible and easy to fill out.
- Use social media to collect email addresses. Integrate your sign-up forms with social media platforms. Driving traffic from multiple sources allows you to build a strong email marketing list much faster.
- Design your sign-up form carefully. Ask only for information you plan to use. A good rule of thumb is that less is more — the shorter the sign-up form, the higher the conversion rate.
- Include a call to action. Put a call to action in your submit button, e.g. Sign me up! This makes the sign-up process more engaging and improves the conversion ratio.
- Give away freebies. Think of a relevant incentive for your audience (e-book, infographic, whitepaper) and provide it for free.
- Ask subscribers to share. Take the time to prepare valuable, shareable content. Remember that putting the social share buttons is not enough; you still need to ask your subscribers to use them.
- Build a content distribution strategy. Producing great content is only half the battle. Make sure it’s visible to the right audience. Define who your ideal audience is and find out where they like to congregate online. Then choose communication channels accordingly.
- Publish landing pages. Create a squeeze page where visitors can download premium content in exchange for their email address. A dedicated web page helps users focus on the call to action and increases conversions.
- Include testimonials on your landing page. Social proof helps build trust toward a brand and its products. Use testimonials from satisfied customers to help visitors make a decision.
- Blog regularly. Great content brings more traffic. Develop a realistic content publishing schedule and stick to it.
- Collect email addresses at offline events. Be ready to collect email addresses at trade shows and conferences. Ask for business cards or to sign up via a web form on your iPad, PC, phone or Mac.
It’s time to get started on building your own email marketing list.
Now you know a handful of great ways to build one of the most effective marketing assets — your email marketing list.
Want more? Check out the free Drip email courses, available free to anyone with a Drip account— even on a Free Trial account.